Thursday, August 03, 2006

C'est jeudi

Although Malaria and biting monkeys are not security issues here in Maseru, one does have to be cautious when venturing out into the city or when travelling. This is what I am told at least, as truly, I have not seen any indication of Maseru being a dangerous place in spite of Lesotho being a Stage 1 (security level) country, one level above South Africa. My perception of safety could be because when working for the UN they do really watch out for your safety, one of the things I appreciate about my employer. For example, when I arrived, or when any UN employee arrives, they are issued with a VHF radio. We keep these radios in our houses and if there is a problem we can radio UN Security or call the police from our cell phones.

Each Wednesday there is a radio-check for all UN employees. I, like the rest of the staff, have a call sign. When Security calls you you have to report back to “Mike Control” and state the clarity of the signal. I really like this part because I get to use the phonetic alphabet and apply my Coast Guard skills!