Monday, July 24, 2006

My first African B-day

My birthday really started the night of the 20th. I was sitting in the Lesotho Sun, (the nicest hotel in Maseru) eating Chinese food with two of my best buds, Pedro and John, when my cell phone rang. Calling all the way from Vancouver was my brother and my Granny and Papa wanting to wish me a Happy Birthday. Though there was a significant delay, there voices came through loud and clear and we were able to have a normal conversation. It was so nice to hear familiar voices and talk to my family.

The actually day of my birthday, Friday the 21st, started off at the Maseru Sun (Sun is a hotel chain in Southern Africa) where myself, John and Ntate Bereng were facilitating the second day of a workshop designed to help define and flesh out a road-map for establishing the Human Rights Commission the Government of Lesotho is hoping to create. We had speakers from the Organization of the High Commission for Human Rights, a fantastic speaker from the South African Human Rights Commission and speakers from some local NGO’s. Basically, the UNDP’s role in establishing a NHRC is to push and educate where necessary, help with the logistics, arrange speakers, but ultimately take a back-seat to the Government. We help where we can and when we are needed but the idea and our mandate is to empower government and encourage local ownership over projects and institutions like a National Human Rights Institution.

Following the workshop I rushed home to get my house ready. I had bought some drinks and snacks for the festivities and had made sure I had a good supply of coal and firewood on hand so everybody would be warm. I also had to hurry home because I was expecting guests. Patti, a fellow Canadian and JPC, whom I had met in Ottawa, currently working in Swaziland for UNAIDS, had driven from Swazi with an American intern to spend the weekend in Maseru. Apparently, where they are living in Swazi, there is not much to do and so they were glad to get to Maseru and the UN compound and hang out with my friends.

People started arriving around 7. I had Americans, Canadians, Irish, Norwegians, British, South Africans and a lot of Basotho all attend. I was really glad that it wasn’t exclusively an ex-pat party but that there was lots of locals who came as well. In fact, a lot of people who came were unknown to me. What I learned was word travels fast in Maseru and when there is a party, people descend on it. Let’s just say that at around 1am I was glad that I lived in a gated compound with guards as they were able to turn away those that looked of dubious character.

As my house has no furniture yet, in fact, I have only a bed and bed-side table only, it was a perfect venue for a party. My living room is huge and there is a bar in the corner that a past resident built. John brought over his music and by about 11 the my place was full. The locals brought some good African music and everybody was dancing by the end of the night. The party went for a long time and I think I probably hit the sack at about 5am.

Four hours later I was up as I had promised to take my visitors to Malealea lodge for some pony-trekking in the Lesotho Mountains. Our first stop, however, was the Mediterranean Café, the only place in Maseru that does a real breakfast. Two fried eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, toast, mushrooms, two cappuccino’s, sausages, bacon and most of Patti’s and Sonia’s breakfasts’ later, it was off to Malealea. This “resort” is about 2 hours from Maseru. It is a beautiful drive and there is a lot to see along the way.

Upon arrival we decided on a two-hour trek to the Gorge. We got geared up and were taken to our ponies. To my horror, mine was white (have had bad experiences with white horses before). However, she was great and we had an amazing two hour ride into the Lesotho mountains. I took lots of pictures along the way. For me, this was certainly a highlight of my time here thus far. Back from Malealea I took them for a tour around Maseru and then out for Indian food. After this it was off to Good Times for a few drinks and finally off to bed as we were all knackered. Sunday the girls left early to get back to Swazi in daylight and I slept till 1. For the next 6 hours, no joke, I cleaned up my place as it was a bit of a sty.

Why not get my maid to clean up my place you ask? She is back in her village because her mom just died of AIDS. It really hits you, the travesty of this virus, when somebody you know dies or is affected by AIDS.

Sunday night I made some pasta and then watched Citizen Kane with a few people in the compound. I know my dad will be proud that I finally got around to watching it but I must say I neither liked it nor understood it. My Langley roots certainly show here don’t they?